The perfect combination of healthy and indulgent, these vegetable lentil fritters are guaranteed to be devoured by whoever you give them to. The outsides are deliciously golden brown and crispy, while the insides are loaded with good-for-you vegetables. They make an amazing snack when served hot with vegan mayonnaise.
What can you use instead of flour for fritters?
You don’t always need flour to make fritters — and these vegetable lentil fritters are a great example of that. There’s absolutely no type of flour in the recipe at all, making these fritters totally gluten-free. Instead, the recipe is loaded with nutritious lentils and vegetables that fill your body with wholesome goodness while pleasing your taste buds at the same time.
To make the fritters, you blend the cooked, drained lentils with water. After that, you combine the blended lentils with the cooked veggies and fry in batches until golden brown. It’s the thick lentil mixture that helps keep the fritters together, meaning you can totally omit any kind of flour.
A total crowd-pleaser
These vegetable lentil fritters are so amazing that even people who aren’t into veggies will love them. Many people think they don’t like vegetables because they don’t know the best way to cook them. The vegetables are fried in a little bit of oil with garlic until they’re sweet and golden brown. They smell and taste so good you’ll struggle not to devour the whole pan while you’re making them!
Using an assortment of different vegetables means each mouthful is loaded with all kinds of yummy flavours and textures, too. No two bites are ever the same! The secret to making these fritters so crowd-pleasing is the incredible spices. – Turmeric, paprika, garlic, coriander, cumin and chili combine to give these vegetable fritters a taste-packed Asian-inspired kick that no one can refuse
Are lentils good for breakfast?
Lentils are an amazing thing to eat first thing in the morning for breakfast. You might think these vegetable lentil fritters are more of a lunch or dinner dish, but they’re perfect for enjoying at any time of the day.
This recipe uses red lentils which have a classic sweet and nutty flavor that’s ideal for easing yourself into the morning. Plus, they’re incredibly high in protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. They providing your body with everything it needs to get through the day.
If you’re cooking these vegetable lentil fritters for a lazy weekend breakfast, just follow the recipe below. But if you want to enjoy them on a busy weekday morning, I recommend making them the night before, chilling them inside an air-tight container in the fridge overnight and warming them back up in a hot pan for 3-4 minutes on either side when you’re ready to eat in the morning.
If you’re in a big rush, you can heat the fritters up in the microwave, but you won’t get the wonderfully crispy outsides. So take the extra minutes to warm them up in the pan for an amazing texture you’ll be thinking about all day!
No Flour Vegetable Lentil Fritters
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely diced
- 3 cups leek sliced, about 1 leek
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 2 small jalapeños diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Place the lentils into a fine mesh colander and rinse them in water. Place the drained lentils into a large bowl, cover with water and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day, bring the oil to a medium heat in a large pan. Add the onion, carrot, leek and celery. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft and beginning to turn golden brown.
- Stir in the broccoli and jalapeño and cook for 3-4 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and set to one side.
- Drain and rinse the soaked lentils. Use an immersion or stand blender to puree the lentils with 2 cups of water. Add in all the spices and lemon juice and blend again.
- Use a spatula to mix the vegetables with the lentil mixture.
- Drizzle some oil into a large pan and bring to a medium heat. Add 2-3 tablespoon of mixture per fritter and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat until all the fritter batter has been used.
- Serve warm and enjoy!