A light and refreshing lunch idea with an incredibly moreish crunch, this vegetable salad with roasted crispy chickpeas is the perfect summertime meal. The salad is made from nourishing veggies with a high water content to keep you hydrated, while the roasted chickpeas add a healthy source of protein, as well as a fantastic crunchy texture.
Many people struggle to eat healthy meals regularly because the recipes they try take too long to prepare. This is where this healthy veggie salad really shines. You can prep the whole thing in advance and layer individual portions in jars. Then all you need to do is open the fridge, grab a jar as you’re rushing out the door and you’ve got a delicious, healthy lunch to look forward to.
With a nourishing salad that’s this easy to make, you’ve got no excuse not to eat healthily!
Not only is this summertime salad super good for you, but it tastes fantastic, too. The chilled crunchy veggies are just the thing you need to cool you down when the sun is shining and the zesty, flavor-packed dressing really brings the veggies to life. Add into the mix the amazing roasted chickpeas and you’ve got a wholesome lunch you can feel good about eating.
Tips to make this Salad with Roasted Crispy Chickpeas in advance
If you are planning on making this salad in advance, here are a few tips to help you make a fantastic lunch:
- Only make 1-3 salad jars in advance. If you prepare the salad more than 3 days in advance, the veggies will go soggy and you’ll lose the crisp texture.
- Layer the salad ingredients into the jars, but store the salad dressing and roasted chickpeas separately in individual portions. Just before you’re ready to eat, pour over the salad dressing and chickpeas then give everything a stir. This helps keep everything fresh and delicious.
- Keep the salad and dressing in the refrigerator, but store the roasted chickpeas at room temperature. Don’t place them inside a bag or container. Instead, place them into a bowl and cover them with a paper towel. This way they’ll stay crunchy for up to 3 days.
Mix and match your veggies
I absolutely love the combination of vegetables in this summer salad. They’re all really juicy and refreshing to help keep you cool during summer. And there are so many different textures that no 2 mouthfuls are the same.
But if you aren’t a fan of any of the salad ingredients or you don’t have them in your refrigerator, don’t worry about it. You can substitute any of the below veggies for ones you like or have on hand.
Other delicious salads you’ll love
If you can’t get enough of this veggie salad, you’ll love these other salad recipes, too. This potato salad with cashew mayo is the perfect summer side dish. It tastes just like regular potato salad, but it’s entirely plant-based and the nut mayonnaise only takes a couple of minutes to make.
This vegan Italian pasta salad is another healthy side that’s perfect for serving when the weather’s hot. It’s totally gluten-free, vegan-friendly and packed with 5 different types of vegetables.
Vegetable Salad with Roasted Crispy Chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon zested
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Roasted Crispy Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preparing the roasted crispy chickpeas. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chickpeas, paprika, oil, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix everything together so the chickpeas are thoroughly coated in the oil and seasonings.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Open the oven and move the chickpeas every 5 minutes to make sure they roast evenly.
- Layer the salad ingredients in 2 jars. Start with the lettuce then add the tomatoes, cilantro, parsley, onion and cucumber. Set to one side.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vegetable oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly to ensure everything is well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and top each one with roasted chickpeas.
- Screw the lids onto the jars and shake well before serving.